CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Runaway Bunny

I love doing these preschool book studies.  And although its a preschool curriculum we're using for Rylie, Sienna is still young enough to enjoy the stories and activities too.

 Making a bunny on a stick.

 I found this idea on Pintrest.  There were pieces for the bunnies for each part of the story.  As I read the story I used the pieces to illustrate it.  And since then you can often find Rylie "reading" the story to herself and acting it out with the bunnies.
 Since the bunny hides in a crocus we made flowers from their hand prints, although our flowers look more like lilies.

 We practiced identifying 1 syllable and 2 syllable words.
 I hide a small picture of a bunny under one of the numbers, then Ry has to tell me a number to pick up that she thinks the bunny is under until she finds the bunny.  This is really good for her to practice identifying her numbers.
 Since the mother bunny in the story walks on a tightrope we decided to do some tightrope walking too.

We also made some bunny masks and had Annie's bunnies and carrots for a snack.
They each took a turn placing things that happened in the story in order.  Sienna had to do this without the book, but I let Ry use the book as reference.
This is a great story for If....Then statements so they both took a turn doing that.

Pages for our lap journal.  Since the BFIAR preschool curriculum has so many stories and activities in it I decided not to make a lap book for each story and decided to put them all in one 3 ring binder to make a lap journal.  An idea I got from the blog Delightful Learning.

 We talked about the 2 kinds or art used in the book, colorful painting and ink/pen sketches so the girls did both.  Painted a scene from the story with watercolors and then did an ink sketch to go along with their narration of the story. 
I had read how good it is to have young children narrate stories that have been read to them at an early age to help them pay attention and to make it easier for them by the time they have to write summaries and book reports.  By that time they will already be use to telling back a story in their own words.  Well I agree they definitely get better at it.  This is the best, most detailed narration of a story Sienna has ever given.

There once was a little bunny who wanted to run away.  So he told his mother "I want to run away."  Then he said, "I'm going to become a fish and I'll swim away from you."  Then his mother said, "Well then I'll become a fisherman and fish for you."  Then the bunny said, "Well then I'll become a rock high above you."  Then his mother said, "Well then I'll become a rock climber and I'll climb to where you are."  Then the little bunny said, "Then I'll become a crocus in a hidden garden."  Well then his mother said, "I'll become a gardener and find you."  And then, well then I'll become a boat and sail away from you.  Then his mother said, "Well then I'll become the wind and blow you to where I want you to go."  Then I'll join the circus and be swinging on the swinging trapeze.  And then his mother said, "I'll become a tightrope walker and walk with you in the sky."  Then the little bunny said, "Well then I'll become a little boy and run into the house."  And then his mother said, "Well I'll become your mother and catch you in my arms.  Here have a carrot."

-narrated by Sienna 11/7/12

0 comments: