CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, November 12, 2012

Food & Operation Christmas Child

Learned a little about food groups and "sometimes" foods. 
 I thought Ry drew a pretty good watermelon for a 3 yr old.
 Made pine cone cookies.  Ha!  A "sometimes" food right after learning about healthy eating.
 Sienna has been really into wanting to "help the poor people, especially the kids" recently and when we donate food or money she hasn't really been feeling like its satisfying to her.  I love that she has such a caring heart and I have wanted to find something that makes her feel like she is more involved so that she doesn't loose that feeling of wanting to help.

So my friend Julie, told me about Operation Christmas Child.  I love how the girls can be so involved in it.  The girls each did 2 boxes.  A boy and girl of their same age.  So we went to WalMart to get things to fill their boxes.  They were so excited when we went to pick out things to give the children, although the girls kept choosing large items and I had to keep saying, "Now is that going to fit in a shoebox?"  Finally, I got some of the shoebox size storage containers and told them that everything for each kid had to fit in one of those.  Once filled, we put the storage containers back on the shelf.
We got some small toys, a shirt, toothbrush, toothpaste, some small treats, and some crayons, and craft items, and flashlights with extra batteries.  The girls then drew pictures and gave the kids some basic info about themselves like favorite food, favorite color, how old they are, and what they like to do.  We are also putting a picture of the girls in the box.
They wanted to pack their own boxes, but the way a 3 & 5 yr old pack it, I had to redo it :)

They have a label you can print off online to track where you shoebox goes.
  Sienna especially is so excited to track her box and see where it goes.  They give you a prayer card to pray daily for the children who receive the boxes.  I think we will be doing this every year!
Right after Julie told me about this I got a email from our homeschool co-op and we will be doing it Wednesday with them too.  They are having a huge Operation Christmas Child packing day, with a tea party to follow for the girls.  The girls 12 and over will be serving the younger girls at the tea party.  So fun!  So we have 2 dozen cupcakes to make for the tea party :)

Here is a link for the Operation Christmas Child if you want to check it out:  http://www.samaritanspurse.org/index.php/occ/ 

The videos really got Sienna even more into it.  After it she said, "Mommy maybe we can bring those people here and they can live in our house for awhile and we can put up the tent in the backyard and we can stay in there."
She as also since commented on how she has "too much toys."


1 comments:

Unknown said...

Just checking in on your blog. Loving all the homeschool activites. I wish I lived near you. I'm considering schooling Grace next year for kindergarten, but I'm still a little torn since I'm not homeschooling my older ones. You are doing a fabulous job!!